The release candidate (RC) for Version 2.0 was due in May but has been
delayed for various reasons. There have been some additional releases
since 1.9.95 but I'm unsure on the final RC date.

Currently any release of OOo can open .doc files automatically. It all
depends on how you've set the associations on your computer. For
instance if you've set the OS to open .doc files with OOo, then
regardless of whether the file is downloaded or not, OOo will open the
.doc file.

/paul