After some tinkering, I was able to create a database that will do
at least some of the things you want it to do. In the end, I created a
form that contains (as the main form) the Author's name, Book Title,
Editor's name. As the sub form, it shows the query results which include
Date Assigned to the Editor, Date Editing Completed, Due Date, Days of
Editing allowed, Days of Editing done.
      Is this something that you could use? I could send it to you off
list.
      With your mathematical background, perhaps you will be able to
follow my logic in the way I created the queries and tables.

--Dan