----- Original Message ----- From: "G. Roderick Singleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2005 3:57 PM
Subject: Re: [users] [moderated]

On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 15:38 -0400, D. Gary Jones wrote:
I have many spreadsheets in Excel and I am trying to make the switch to
OpenOffice but I am finding great difficulty switching from VBA and also
in "assigning" macros.

I find it so easy, probably with years of use, to "Assign" a macro to a
button or shape in excel and in fact the numerous Presentation Proforma'
that I work with all have a "Main Menu" page with an array of buttons
and/or shapes each with an attached macro to take you to the sheet.
When on any sheet, I again assign macros to format and print the pages
and insert copyright information but I am completely lost, even after
consulting the available Help, with this assigning.  I have tried
following the Help pointers and it may just be that I can't forget VBA
and get confused, but can anyone provide a sample or instruction for this.

It will be impossible for me to convince the company to make this switch
until I can do the work myself and in turn, teach others, that is why I
am asking for help.

Help is good when you are experienced but can be a bit overwhelming
otherwise. That is why the documentation project and oooauthors have
developed manuals and how-to docs. For example, http://tinyurl.com/7863k
has a cross-reference for VBA and an accompanying example file that just
might be all you need. Please checkout what we have.
--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead

D. Gary Jones: If the above references don't help, I can give you a step-by-step example of how to assign a macro to a button (in Calc). I'm currently going thru my own learning pains, converting existing Excel sheets, with VBA macros, to OOo Calc. Assigning the macros is the easy part! This assumes you have already translated and re-written the VBA macros in Basic. (I'll wait until tomorrow before writing the steps out... a fresh head in the morning will greatly improve my typing and thinking). But do let us know if the above reference is not enough.

-- John Viestenz