On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 13:07, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 04 July 2005 10:37, wbg wrote:
>
> > leave, or when I fire up on return SA brings the 166 to its knees.
>
> I just leave it running when I'm gone, else it piles up in my verizon
> box and I get unsubbed from everything.  But kmail tends to forget to
> do the fetching after a while, so I now have fetchmail delivering it
> to the local spool, which has quite a few gigs free.

I do that, too, and am running Evo 1.4. What the problem is is that
if I've been offline, when I start up again, if SpamAssassin is
running, and it sees the roughly 500/day emails for like, maybe
six-eight days worth, it spawns so many processes that it brings
the P166 w/64MB to its knees. So until I upgrade that firewall box,
I've found it's easier to just turn off SpamAssassin if I'm leaving
for a week and shutting everything down for the duration.

Of course if it's only for a three day weekend I just let it run.

> >Da Missus hereabouts isn't a computer jock, either, but since she
> >(and I too, truth told) have a certain liking for the various
> >Hoyle Packs, we have to have her running 98.
>
> The dark side, shame...  I haven't found anything I want to do that I
> can't do with linux.  But then, maybe my tastes are simpler than
> some.

I suppose I could dick around with Wine or such to run those
Hoyle apps under Linux, but I hear too much about what a hassle
it can be - seems easier as long as she likes all the various
Hoyle Packs to just have her running them under 98SE. Main thing
is to not let Virus98 have Net access :-)

> >That little Tulip program sure is slick for making an old
> >box into a diskless workstation for accessing the Linux tools.
>
> Not fam with that at all.  But my firewall has a bit more Red Bull in
> it, 500mhz K6-III, half a gig of ram.

One of these days.

The simulated diskless workstation is a good quick 'n dirty way
to give an old DOS box access to the Linux network without actually
installing Linux on it, or caring what kind of hard drive, if any,
it might contain. Tulip basically spoofs the system into thinking
it has a bootable EtherNet card in it like a real DWS. Runs off
a floppy.

Brewster

Brewster