On Wednesday 27 July 2005 08:08 am, Winnie wrote:
> Good morning:
>
> I have a question that may seem dumb, but, I need to ask.  If I
> download Open Office and I try it out and decide afterwards to not to
> use, can I go back to Microsoft Office without any problems?  Reason
> for the question is I am taking an online computer course and the
> instructor wanted us to answer a question about using Open Office
> products.  I have not used this at home or at work and I am concerned
> that if I check this product out, and I don't like it that I can't go
> back to Microsoft Office.  Any help you could give me will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you
> Winnie
     This is not a dumb question. The answer to your question is a
modified yes. For that matter, you can have OpenOffice.org (OOo) and MS
Office on your computer at the same time with no problems. Many people
use both office suites all the time.
     There is one thing that you must do when you install OOo: study the
USERS_GUIDE.pdf that comes with the program, especially page 27 on file
associations. This requires that you have Acrobat Reader also installed
on your computer. That will save you some headaches especially if you
later decide to remove OOo. For that matter, it will save some
headaches even if you decide to use both programs.
     If you download OOo, it will be a *.zip file. Save it, and make
sure you know where it is located. Double click it to extract the files
it contains (over 500 files) to the installation folder. Enter the
installation folder, and read USERS_GUIDE.pdf. Follow the directions of
this file.
     If you have further questions and/or comments please send them to
this mailing list: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Do not send personal replies
unless requested to do so.

Dan