I am suddenly unable to print from OOo, both 1.1.4 (with security patch applied) and 1.9.122. I have been happily using OOo since version 1.1.2 for more than a year on this computer and others, and this problem only appeared now.

The computer on which this problem occurred is a Compaq Presario R3000 laptop with 384MB of RAM; the OS is Windows XP SP2 with all Microsoft patches applied. In fact, I suspect that the latest patch from Microsoft (related to that Zotob worm) might be the culprit, or at least the set of patches that Microsoft released this month (last week) might be it. I suspect this because things were working until now... but I don't quite know how to test it.

The printer is a HP Laserjet 1200, and other applications (I tested Acrobat Reader 7.0.3, Yap, Microsoft Word 2003) print happily to it. In fact, I can export a PDF from OOo and print it just fine with Acrobat Reader. But the printer gets hung if OOo tries to print directly (I tried this with Writer only) and it needs to be unplugged from power and plugged in again after some wait to force a reboot. Until I do so, it does not respond to any other print requests after the failed OOo print request.

I hope this is precise enough to help troubleshooters. I have been reading this newsgroup for months now, and am aware that many people report OOo printing problems on Linux. I have not tested printing from Linux in my case; my Libranet box is not connected to a printer and I hardly ever print from my work laptop (running Fedora Core 4 currently). I am a little surprised to encounter an OOo printing problem on Windows.

Apart from that, I do think OOo is great, and have been recommending it to friends and occasionally installing it on their computers. No complaints from them yet.

I will highly appreciate any responses. Thanks in advance!

Dimitrios Diamantaras