On Wednesday, August 31, 2005 2:19 AM
RDMcBride wrote on the subject
RE: Cut Open Office Load Time

Richard said:
<SNIP> [changed OO.o writer memory settings ]

After two or three startups I clocked Writer 1.9.125 first opening from Quickstart [snicker] to text doc at 17sec.
That is considerably better than the 30+ seconds it has been taking.

This is getting down to the neighborhood of a true "quickstart" -- not the 6 sec you spoke of, but what would I do with an extra 11 seconds anyway? Probably something silly.

Richard

What hardware are you running? I have an AMD Sempron 2800+ and a WinFast 760GXK8MB Motherboard with 333 FSB and 1GB DDR RAM and 7200 RPM ATA disks. Do you have the quick starter running? The combination of QS and this hack seem to be what did the trick for me.

The second start is nearly instantaneous, and the first start
after a long time doing other things is still about 6 seconds.

I too run Windows XP SP2, but I will have Ubunto 5.04 on my second hard disk "real soon now." Just as soon as I can get an AGP video card that Linux will support. SiS doesn't support the free software movement. They supply no information to OSS driver writers, and for that reason, the drivers provided by the X Window people don't render 3d.

Meanwhile I'll download the next (m125) Beta 2 version
and see what the machine I gave a friend will do with that and this hack. It loads in about 20 seconds now, just with the quick starter. (500 MHz Athlon, 512 MB, slow FSB.

Mark Herring said that 1.9.125 (v2,. Beta 2) starts on Linux (RHEL4) in about 4 seconds---with no special measures.

I wonder how fast his hardware is.

David Teague, http://cs.wcu.edu/~dbt Advocating Free Software and Double Bass tuned in fifths
www.dennismasuzzo.com;  www.silviodallatorre.com
www.joelquarrington.com/; For information on Red Mitchell, http://home.teleport.com/~mimuma/; www.larryholloway.com