It is unreliable. :-(
For example, put in a cell "=5/17"
then format the cell as a fraction.
It will give you 2/7.  This is
close, but no cigar!

Joe

G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
On Sat, 2005-12-17 at 09:33 -0500, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:

klaus schmirler wrote:

Terry North wrote:

I think people may be talking about different subjects.

Obviously. Going back to the original posting, he talks about a
"quotient function", but he also wants a "simple fraction", which is
not what the quotient function does.

Fractions are just a formatting thing: right click on on the
(selection of) cells that you want to see as fractions and choose the
appropriate number format.

klaus

If you need to display a number as a fraction, I have a macro that will
convert to and from fraction formats. Klaus, are you saying that there
is a number format to display a decimal number as a fraction. I think
that the answer is no, but would be very happy if the answer is yes.

In 2.0, Fraction is definitely in the list of Cell Number formats. Have
not tested whether or not the output is what is wanted. That I will
leave to others.