It's really difficult to diagnose what's going wrong when something doesn't work the way it should. Sometimes these things turn out to be bugs and not anything you're doing wrong.

If you want to send me the file (offlist) I'll take a quick look and see if I can spot anything immediately.

Cheers, Jean

Max Haltermann wrote:
Hi Jean,
Yes, I have tried to set tabs in paragraph style, but
I'm not sure if I did it right, but whatever I did, the
moment I highlighted the raw text all tabs would
disappear from the ruler. And yes, I also turned
on non-printing characters.
I found, if I removed all tabs manually from a
paragraph, THEN I could highlight that paragraph
without tab markers on the ruler disappearing.
The job then is: how to remove all embedded
tab markers without removing them one by one.
The Find/Replace help file says \t is the code to
enter for search and replace. I tried this on a
section of this file, where I had placed some
tabs manually. Guess it didn't like my tabs as
the message was 'Search object not found'
Over to you.
Max.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jean Hollis Weber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>