John MORRIS wrote:

I've been having trouble working with Impress, then saving my work (as Office
2000/xp file) and then loading in on another computer using Office 2000/2003.
It comes up saying the file is incorrect.  If I then go to the file, rename it
to say XXX.PPS then it loads, however i'm wondering if this is what I need to
do or if i'm doing something wrong?

Sincerely,

John

I'm making a few assumptions about your problem that may turn out to be wrong, so if what I say doesn't solve your problem you may need to give us a little more info. (Your computer's operating system/version and the version of OpenOffice.org would be a start.)

That said, it sounds like your Impress files aren't being saved with automatic extensions. The extension is the ".PPS" part. That bit is how MS Office, in this case PowerPoint, knows to consider that file as something it can open. Impress can save your file in PowerPoint format and add the .PPS itself so you don't have to do it later.

In OpenOffice.org 2.0.1, when you get the dialog box for saving a file, there is a check box underneath the box where you pick the file type. The text next to it says "Automatic file name extension". If that box is checked, whatever file type you picked will get the correct extension so that it will open in whatever program uses that file type--in your case, PowerPoint format files will get the .PPS that they need.

Good luck,
Kira