Hi Terry,
I haven't tried the ubuntu live cd, but the knoppix cd has an option to create a swap file on your hard drive if you don't have a lot of memory. Browse the cd for startup option or cheatcodes. Try temporarily reducing the amount of video ram as well.
tc

Terry Maiden wrote:
I have just tried Ubuntu Live CD 5.10 which includes Open Office 2.0.  Open Office Writer will not load and run, the CD just grinds and grinds.  I usually have to hit the reset button to get control of my PC back.  My PC is a Compaq 2100US laptop.  This PC has only 192 meg of memory, some of which is reserved as video memory.  This is the first time I have tried OO version 2.0, version 1.1 seems to work fine.  Please don't tell me to contact Ubuntu, their site is a "nuthouse"...

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.385 / Virus Database: 268.2.5/284 - Release Date: 3/17/06

Checked by AVG Free Edition.