Robin wrote:

> It is a summary box that does not require changing the focus and active
> window.

VCurrently available.

> Something that allows me to move my cursor through the affected text to find
> out why my text is

Currently available in OOo.

> Why I cannot get the default style to change the particular attribute.  What
> is causing it.

That usually is becuse of one of two situations:
i) The user simply does not know wht the attribute of the default style is;
ii) Somebody decided to be stupid, and apply direct formtting, instead
of styles.

In the second instance, the solution is to sele3ct _just_ the text to
which direct formatting was applied, and then go >Foramt >default"
The solution in the first instance is to know what the attributes of
the styles that youa re using are.

There really is _no_ excuse for not knowing all of the attributes of
all the styles that one uses.

> Are you saying that all the formatting should be removed and forgotten about?

Is it content, or markup?

The former must be retained, the latter can be, and usually should be,
discarded.

> Don't forget to add in the create the necessary styles to achieve what you
> have to achieve.

Trivial.  That takes all of one minute, if creating them on the fly.
If you need to create 100+ styles t a time, open the approprite style
sheet, and edit it in a text editor.  [And pay attention ot the markup
code you use.]

> This is the biggest problem with styles.  You have to know what the
> individual styles do.

Of course you have to know what the indivdiaul styles do.

> You don't need to setup a style in WP before you edit a document.

You cna do that in OOo.

>I ask, why do I have to know what each style does before I can edit a
document?

Would you drive a car with four foot pedals, if you didn't know the
function of each of those pedals?

> Why do I need to remove all the present formatting of the document I am
> importing before I can format it?

Because the process of importing a document, from one file format to
another, will automatically introduce artifacts taht were not part of
the original documetn, and delete artifacts that were part of the
original document.   It doesn't matter if the format change is from WP
7 to WP8, or from WordStar.doc to Writer.ASC.  Formatting artifacts
will be dded, or deleted.

> Show me the link to a dialog box that puts all this information in a quick
> and easy to scan dialog box that allows me to watch it as I move

A:   i) Dock Stylist to the screen edge.
ii) Set stylist to show "Applied Styles"
iii) Adjust to the appropriate style.  [Usually this will be pragrpah
of character, but it might be numbering.]

B: i)  ">Tools >Configure >Toolbars"
ii) CLick on "Customize"
iii) Under "Toolbars" select "Function Bar"
iv) Under "Availble Buttons", select "Format"
v) Move all style attributes over to the "Function Bar"
vi) Check all attributes you just moved;
vii) Go thru the other options under "Availble Buttons", movign
attrbiutes as approprite;
viii) Click the "OK" button
ix) ">View >Toolbars"
x) Check the "Function Toolbar"

That gives you an alternative way of seeing all of teh attribute
changes, as they change, when dragging your cursor through a document.

> Are you against making OOo even better?  In my case and my wifes case,

No.  But your  proposal is to dumb down OOo, forcing people to emulate
the drunk looking for the money he lost under the street lamp, when he
dropped it in a dark alley ten blocks away.

xan

jonathon
--
Ethical conduct is a vice.