Rod Engelsman wrote:
Robin Laing wrote:

The attributes supplied by styles can be overwritten by user-applied direct formatting, and in some cases by other user applied styles. We know this.

And these can be hard to find. A RC style viewer or at least reveal formatting points may make life much better in these cases for people like me.

Robin, It's statements like this that make me believe that you still don't quite understand the differences between the WP code/tokens and Writer/Word object styles. You say you understand that Writer has no codes to reveal, but then you seem to just rename them "pointers" and continue with the same concept.

Fair comment. I have tried to past text within a style but kept missing the end style pointer on my paste. Sometimes pasting within the document and then moving the end text. Lost productivity.

Here we go with the "pointers" again. Just codes/tokens under a different name and Writer doesn't have any of those. The closest thing to that would be the end-of-paragraph marker. The EOP marker is considered to be a part of the paragraph whose end it marks.

When this was first mentioned to me, I thought, how does Writer know that when it displays X.odt it should put this word as bold and this paragraph as hanging indent? I unzipped a test.odt and saw that there are pointers (not tokens) to formatting definitions.

I have actually taken this simple multi formatted document that has used styles and direct formatting and looked at it. In the content.xml the properties of the various blocks of text like this one that I copied from one content.xml.

<text:span text:style-name="T2">BOLD</text:span>

These are the pointers that I am talking about. Not tokens that say that this text is bold but a pointer to the definition which says.

This is copied from a simple test.odt file. This is from a line and this word has been directly formatted to be BOLD.

So... for example, if you have copied a paragraph from another document and are trying to paste it into another document between two paragraphs with different styles, and you want the style of the pasted paragraph to match that of the _first_ paragraph then it needs to be pasted in ahead of the paragraph mark. If it needs to match the second paragraph paste it _after_ the paragraph mark. Do these paste operations as Paste Special -> Unformatted Text.

There are so many ways to do things but in most cases, it is easier to grab the formatted text and paste it as it is. Then do the cleanup after. This is how I normally have to work as I usually either have to follow a document format that someone else has setup and insert my various forms of data or import data from other sources into a document that I have created which is very rare.

As my wife said, she doesn't think of how things will be formatted until it is mostly written. This is because things are always added, moved or deleted during the creation of the document. Formatting is finalized at the end. Sometimes what will be added may not be known until the final day.

You are obviously having problems. So provide details of one at least of the problems, not undetailed references to things that don't work the way you are trying to make them work. The interface you describe won't help in such matters, as it still wouldn't show anything that is not seeable now by looking at the formatting dialog boxes for the current object.

The example I have used is verticle text in an imported document. I spent two or three days trying to get it sorted out. I never did. I ended up having to use Word.

Was it like normal but turned on its side, or was it like

?

This is exactly how it was formatted. I looked at everything I could find to clear this up. I couldn't find a style or margin setting that was changed. I thought it may have been columns setup but that wasn't it either.

If the former, it would be rotated text which is a property of characters, paragraphs, or frames. If the latter, it would have had to have been a funky indentation setting, or it could have been in a very skinny frame or table cell.

I tried changing everything I could think of, even to the point of deleting all the text but with no success. I never found out the problem as I ended up using XP and Word for the document. I have not had to touch it since.

And another that I have is "Flashing Text" The style is Header 1 which is used many times in this document. This is the only one that flashes. Now I do know that the author has used allot of direct formatting within this document because if I apply the Header 1 style, it will change the look of line. This is where a different style should have been used. Now if I could only fully reformat the document. Not an option though.

Flashing is a (very annoying) character effect that could only be applied via styles or direct formatting of Paragraphs or Characters. Only a couple of places to look for that one.

Four styles show up in the Applied Styles box. Caption, Default, Heading 1 and Normal (Web). If I click on the line, the Heading 1 becomes highlited and Default under character Styles.

Now if I could get all the styles in effect at this location displayed at once. No other styles are highlited. Now to compound things, the line has been modified from the Heading 1 actual settings.

I'd like those dialog boxes improved by just making them non-modal. I'd like also to see the underlying style formatting also in those boxes. I'd like lots of improvements.

But meanwhile, I honestly don't find slows me down noticeably. The formatting at any point is usually obvious without opening these dialogs, and I can use the formatting broom to select formatting from one place and paste it over another without worrying about what the formatting is, if I don't want to.

I do agree but the Reveal Codes has been brought up so many times over the years.

I have messages from 2003 on this. The RC issue was created in 2002-Mar-07.

I will acknowledge that a "Full" RC implementation is not possible within OOo. But a compromise that allows a more readable and handy indication of property changes is achievable. The benefit of discussion is options open to how things can be achieved.

As long as you understand that any solution will have to be consistent with the Writer document model and will likely look and act very little like the RC you're familiar with.

I totally agree that it has to work in Writers present form. This is because Writer and ODF are so similar in their context. This is why I suggested a code display similar to non-printing characters where the < span:xxx > pointers are. Then when someone is going through a document, they will be able to glance at a screen and see that there is a formatting change between two letters within a word that was caused by a copy or paste from another document or section where the styles or direct formatting was close but different. Just another menu option under view. ie. Reveal formatting points.

A dialog box that would allow you to put the cursor at that location and show what styles are in effect within the tree.
Page:
Paragraph:
Text:
and the rest.

Yes. But if others have different ideas about what is better ... ?

And I rather expect that many of your WP users wouldn't care at all for your idea.

No doubt but an option that provide a closer to WP tool for formatting information would be a start in the right direction.

Not really. The paradigms that the two programs use is regarding styles and direct formatting is almost 180 degrees different. Wordperfect uses direct formatting to simulate styles and Writer uses Styles to simulate direct formatting.

Any tools that are to be proposed or implemented need to deal directly with the way things are instead of some simulation. I would suggest:

1. A tool to create all existing combinations of Names Styles and direct formatting into new named styles. So if you applied some formatting directly onto a Styled paragraph it would create a new style of a different name.

2. A tool to side-by-side compare, reconcile, and merge styles.

3. A right-click option in the Stylist to highlight in some manner all instances of a chosen style.

Combined with the existing tools, such as Search and Replace Styles and the other tools I mentioned in another post, you could efficiently clean up the formatting of even long, complex documents.

More tools, give me more tools.  :)

--
Robin Laing