Herbert Eppel wrote:
On 30.03.2006 06:51 UK Time, Herbert Eppel wrote:
The message count indicated by Thunderbird for gmane.comp.openoffice.questions is more than 65,000.

Most of the 'articles' are expired.

When I click on "Click here to remove all expired articles" at the bottom of a message that has expired, Thunderbird thinks about for a couple of seconds, but nothing actually happens, i.e. the message count remains the same.

This isn't really a big problem, but it is nevertheless somewhat inconvenient, because my Thunderbird index file (gmane.comp.openoffice.questions.msf) has grown to more than 20 MB, which makes this group relatively slow to load/display.

A Mozilla Champion has confirmed that this appear to be a particular issue with the OOo newsgroups (or possibly the gmane server), although the outcome of the discussion was not conclusive when I brought the issue up a while ago at mozilla.support.thunderbird

Any comments/suggestions?

Am I the only person with this problem?

A suggestion that works for me is to mark the messages of the openoffice list as Junk mail (sorry it's just a way to avoid the problem no offence) and to store them in their own Junk mail directory (See Junk mail settings in Thunderbird). No you can set the settings for the complete directory. Hope this works for you.