On 03.04.2006 13:30 UK Time, Grzegorz Wiktorowski wrote:
The message count indicated by Thunderbird for
gmane.comp.openoffice.questions is more than 65,000.

Most of the 'articles' are expired.

When I click on "Click here to remove all expired articles" at the bottom
of a message that has expired, Thunderbird thinks about for a couple of
seconds, but nothing actually happens, i.e. the message count remains the
same.

This isn't really a big problem, but it is nevertheless somewhat
inconvenient, because my Thunderbird index file
(gmane.comp.openoffice.questions.msf) has grown to more than 20 MB, which
makes this group relatively slow to load/display.

A Mozilla Champion has confirmed that this appear to be a particular issue
with the OOo newsgroups (or possibly the gmane server), although the
outcome of the discussion was not conclusive when I brought the issue up a
while ago at mozilla.support.thunderbird

Any comments/suggestions?

I use OE 6 and see the same behaviour. The problem is how Gmane newsserver
keeps expired messages. Your post has a tag:

That means that the message body will be removed in 2 weeks. But message
header is still on Gmane server. FYI I asked about the issue in
gmane.discuss in the thread "X-No-Archive working again". You can find
Lars's explanation there.

Hi Grzegorz,

thanks for confirming that it is a Gmane newsserver problem.

I'm not subscribed to gmane.discuss - are you able to provide a link to Lars's explanation?

Is the problem likely to be resolved at some stage?

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslation.co.uk