Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

Don't know - is there a clipboard in linux? I selected text on a web page, clicked on "Copy", clicked in the cell in the table, no "paste" option available. If I paste in some other area of the document, I can then select THAT text and paste into the cell. So why won't it paste direct from the external source?
Linux doesn't have a clipboard, but most, if not all desktop managers (kde, gnome, etc.) that run on Linux do.

I use kde and it has an application called klipper which you can put in your task bar (looks like a little clipboard with a "K" on it). It keeps a record of the last few things you've copied or cut, so you can get back to older ones as well as the current one.

This may not relate to your problem, but once in awhile, I copy something and it won't paste somewhere else. Sometimes, I can open klipper, select the thing I want to paste and then, when I go back to where I want to paste it, it works. Don't know why this happens, but it does help sometimes.

Joe