Walter Hildebrandt wrote:

Ross Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Dan Lewis wrote:

On Saturday April 29 2006 06:30 pm, Walter Hildebrandt wrote:

Dan Lewis wrote: On Friday April 28 2006 05:09 pm,
Walter Hildebrandt wrote:

"G. Roderick Singleton"  wrote:  On Fri,
2006-04-28 at 12:32 -0700, Walter Hildebrandt wrote:
In Dreamweaver "named anchors" are used for making links in html
files.  Is there a way to add named anchors in a OO Writer file?
Probably but I have no idea whatsoever what Dreamweaver is or does.
Chances are others are in the same boat so perhaps you would be so
kind as to give a good description of what you want.
Macromedia's Dreamweaver is a software program to manage websites. I want to create links that have their anchor in a Writer text file. The link will start from a different files that where the anchor is
located.
   There is a way to do this that is explained in help. Enter
"cross-references;inserting with Navigator" in the search box under the
Index tab of Help.
   My interpretation of these instructions:
Document A contains the text that you want to link to (it is the
"anchor"). Document B is the document in which you want a link back to
the text in Document A.
1) Open both Documents A and B.
  a) Insert a bookmark at the beginning of the text in Document A you
want to be your anchor. Give it the name that you want to appear in
Document B as a hyperlink.
2) Open the Navigator window in Document B.
3) Right click Bookmarks Select Drag Mode > Insert as Hyperlink.
4) At the bottom of the Navigator window, change Document B (active) to
Document A (inactive) in the drop down list. (Document B is still open.)
5)Click the "+" in front of Bookmarks. (This opens all of the bookmarks
you have in Document A.)
6) Drag the bookmark to where you want it in Document B.
   There are other part of the Navigator list that you can hyperlink
from Document B to Document A also. The one thing you can not hyperlink
between documents is any References.

Dan

Thank you Dan.  It works.  Is there a way of converting the index to
html and have it work on the Internet?
I am not sure what you want to do. You might want to experiment a little with these steps to see. It might be well worth the try.

Dan

If you're developing a website, another section in Help that you should see is "hyperlinks;relative and absolute" to understand what is happening automagically, and probably other subsections under "hyperlinks". I am confused by the Help information. I did the Tools - Options - Load/Save - General. In the "Save URLs relative to" section both the "File System" and "Internet" have check marks. What does this indicate and what is the significance of it?
I must admit that I'm confused as well after experimenting with them. The explanation of these in Help for the Load/Save General dialog (press F1 or click the Help button on this dialog) seems clear enough, but I'm having trouble finding examples that conform to what the Help says should occur on saving. That is, I can't seem to change the way that URLs are saved by checking or unchecking these options. I must be missing something.

Ross