Hi Jim

Given that nobody has responded to this in the more than 72 hours that have passed since I posted it I am going to assume that what I'm trying to do is so exotic that nobody else on this list has ever tried it. Thus I now ask a new
question. Is there a better place to post my original message?

Sorry I haven't posted earlier. I'm no expert at conditional formatting!

I've just done a few experiments with a simple single cell spreadsheet.

I believe that you need to define two conditions, one which shows the borders, and one which doesn't.

In other words, I believe besides defining which style to use when hiding borders, you also need a condition to define which style to use when you want to draw the borders.

I hope this makes sense. You might want to do some experiments on a simpler spreadsheet yourself.

Adrian