Den 2006-07-19 17:26:45 skrev Dan Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 09:28 am, Johnny Andersson wrote:
Den 2006-07-19 15:58:20 skrev Immanuel CRC Office

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Gilles SICHE wrote:
>> Good morning,
>>  thank you for your answers about minimum requirements.
>>  I have another question.
>> In OOo 2.0.3, when you use the "replace" function (eg : "abotu" will be
>> turned into "about"), if the word to be replaced is followed
>> immediately by
>> a dot, the replacement will not take place.
>> In OOo 2.0.2, on the contrary, the dot does not stop the replacement
>> from
>> taking place.
>> I have looked into Tools/AutoCorrect but haven't been able to find any
>> box
>> to tick or untick.
>>  Thank you in advance,
>>  Gilles Siche
>
> Gilles:
>
> I have 2.0.3 and I cannot replicate what you say is happening. Perhaps I
> didn't do it correct?
>
> I tried: abotu. abotu and abotu
> I did find / replace and with both replace and replace all they all
> changed to about. Is this not what is happening to you?
>
> Crystle

I think Gilles was talking about Auto correction rather than find/replace,
but maybe I'm wrong.
I can't try this myself since I still run 1.1.5 due to my old and slow PC.

Johnny

     The problem is in Tools > AutoCorrect > Replace. It is not in
Find/Replace (Control+F).
     The function of the Replace tab under AutoCorrect is to replace a
commonly misspelled word with the correct spelling. It does not replace parts
of a word. Furthermore, it only works when a space is inserted after the
word. So, this sentence would not be changed by it: "This is what it is all abotu." (Try typing this sentence in Writer without the quotes, and you will
see.)

Dan

The funny thing is that "This is what it is all abotu." actually IS corrected with OpenOffice.org 1.1.5! I can't say if this is the case with OpenOffice.org 2.0.2 since I don't have that version installed on my PC, but the original message told us that this works in OpenOffice.org 2.0.2, so I have no reason not to believe it. So why does this not work in OpenOffice.org 2.0.3?

However, the obvious workaround is of course to type the following, in the example above:
This is what it is  all abotu [BACKSPACE].

This requires, however, that you realized that you actually spelled "about " wrong...

When I get a faster PC I might want to upgrade to OpenOffice.org 2.0 so I am interested in having this corrected to the way it was in OpenOffice.org 2.0.2 and older versions. What is the main reason for NOT correcting a word when it's ended with a dot (or any of ,.;:?!)?

Best regards

Johnny