Adrian,

On my system (Win XP Pro/SP2) the spaces between the words are *removed* from the overlined text.

So, if I follow your example exactly, I get overlined "Thissentenceisoverlined."

That doesn't seem to happen to me, but it does make sense.

The equation editor is really for creating mathematical formulae. That's what I use it for all the time. In maths formulae, often the spaces are removed when the formula is displayed. Also, the default formatting for letters used in a formula is italics.

To format characters as a label, surround them with double quotes. Warning: be careful if you are adding the double quotes in Writer rather than Maths - if you have smart quotes enabled, this won't work. The quotes need to be the normal straight quotes, not curly quotes. Adding the quotes in Maths will always work.

Here is what you are after:

overline {"This sentence is overlined."}

You'll notice that using the formula editor is just a work around, not an ideal solution. It was suggested only because it does support overline.

Another workaround would be to use the drawing tools to draw a horizontal line above the words, and anchor that line to "character" so that it moves with the word.

There is a great user guide to the Maths module on the documentation site if you are interested in learning all the features.

Adrian