-----Original Message-----

R Blevin:

I have done what you are doing for a long time.  Repsonses from you are key to
our supplying high quality service and support to you.

First.  I want you to try this:  Uninstall OpenOffice.org through the
Add/Remove programs
item. I mean remove ALL of it.  If you are prompted about files no longer in
use, delete
them.  OpenOffice installs NO files that are used by other programs.
Two.  I want you to go to the directory where OpenOffice was installed and
delete the directory
unless you have stored files in that directory (why you would do this, I use My
Documents.)
Three.  I want you to reboot your system.
Four.  Yes, you are going to have to dig out that dreaded Registry cleaner (NOT
regedit it
is way to dangerous) and remove all refrences to OpenOffice.org.  This also
means deleting
the class markers for the OpenDocument classes (odt, ods, ott, etc.)
Five, reboot AGAIN.
Six, attempt to reinstall OpenOffice.org.  Note any errors that occur when you
do so.

If you have done the above, this is all the advice I can give and maybe others
will be
better able to assist you.

And because of the way that the Registry works, Microsoft always advises to
uninstall/reinstall
without touching the registry in case entries were not processed correctly.

>Re: uninstall, I thought I noted that I tried that.  Sorry for the
>omission.  I uninstalled, reinstalled, then reinstalled again.
>
>Doesn't anyone have any ideas as to WHY the language settings reset
>themselves, or WHY the custom dictionaries are not remembering words?
>Seems to me that for an open source free solution such as OOo to
>flourish, advice needs to be more precise than "uninstall/reinstall".

I can point to the above.  Your registry needs to be cleaned, badly, maybe.

>Frankly, that's the Microsoft brute-force way of handling things, and
>it requires excess time, and one probably loses all their carefully
>tuned prefs in the process.

Microsoft created the registry.  I don't like this as your preferences can be
messed with by other programs.

Also, registry editing is best left out.  I've completely hosed a system
following
precision instructions which had errors.

James M.
Mac OS X QA Test Team Lead
(and one who works with WindowsXP SP2 for problem troubleshooting.)