I've got a document with a few numbered lists, one after the other. Each numbered list deals with a sub-section of the overall theme (which happens to be a construction project). So, in the text, I have Heading 4 styled subheadings for each of the sub-sections, each of which is followed by its own numbered list. All fine so far.

Now, though, that I've finished the text itself, I decided it would make it easier to reference if all the lists were numbered in a composite system whereby each sub-section Heading 4 styled subheading would be numbered, say "1. Section A" then "2. Section B" etc., and each list after these subtitles would acquire the number of their respective subheading to precede their own numbers. Therefore, a list going like "1. ..., 2. ..., 3. ... etc." would become (if it belonged to "1. Section A") "1.1. ..., 1.2. ..., 1.3. ... etc."

Get my drift? How do I do that?