That is a good a idea. He will be able to download OpenOffice at <http://www.openoffice.org/>. Be sure he will also install the software. This will allow him to open and modify the MSWord files, and to save them in OO or MSWord format, as he prefers. If he used complex features of Word (maybe tables, Clipart etc.), maybe the conversion by OpenOffice will not be perfect.
Marc H.

G-dawg a écrit :

Greetings,

My father recently purchased a new computer.  The only program he ever used on
his old computer was MSWord.  With the new purchase he's received Works which,
of course, doesn't allow him to access his old documents.  I think he'd be
more comfortable using the OpenOffice Writer program than trying to learn
Works.  Is there any way for him to just download OpenOffice's Writer program
alone?  He is on a slow dial up connection and can not, and does not require,
the entire OpenOffice programs.

Thanks,
Constance