On Thursday, December 07, 2006 3:18 PM [GMT+1=CET], William Birchall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have been using Open Office successfully, for some time. However
just recently it would not fully load. I then downloaded the latest
version and tried to uninstall the earlier one. I am received the
following message when trying to uninstall/install the program:-
'This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the
package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application
vendor to verify that this is a valid Window Installer Package'
I have tried to download Windows Installer Cleanup Utility only to
get the same message!! I desperately need some help as not being able
to use Open Office is critical to me.
I should note that I have downloaded and installed the latest Windows
Installer Redistributables but the problem persists.I use Windows XP
Home. I have tried to use 'scannow sfc' but still no success.Help
please as currently not being able to utilise OpenOffice is adversely
affecting my productivity.

Bill Birchall
First you need to check if the file you downloaded is corrupt. Go to http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.4/md5sums.html and click "Instructions for using md5sums". This will direct you to download and run a program that will calculate an alphanumeric value based on your downloaded OpenOffice file. Compare the result to the value for *your* file in the list on the page I just mentioned. If they are equal then your download file is OK. If not, then the file is corrupt and you should try again - don't forget to check the new file also ;-)

Where did you get the download? For English it should have come from http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.4/index.html. Otherwise from the relevant page linked to from http://projects.openoffice.org/native-lang.html.

If the file is OK, try disconnecting from the internet and then (and only then) deactivating your antivirus (AV) and firewall software before trying the installation again. AV software particularly often interferes with program installation, not just for OOo. Don't reconnect to the net till both AV and firewall are running properly.

If none of the above works, come back here with details.

Good luck.

Harold Fuchs
London, England