On Sunday, December 17, 2006 12:24 AM [GMT+1=CET], Jan Sisselaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dear Friends,

please could you advise us on the following.

We are corresponding in four different European languages.   Q u e s
t i o n :  Can we download the spelling controllers of those three
languages in OpenOffice, and use them for each letter in accordance
with the language being used?

With our thanks for your advise, we are sending you our best regards,

Jan Sisselaar,
Assuming OOo dictionaries you want exist then
1. Using Writer, download the dictionaries via the menu option File>Wizards>Install new dictionaries
2. Now it depends on what you want to do.

a) If each document is to be in a single language, but different documents are to be in different languages then your best bet is to create a template for each language. For each template, modify the default language setting. To do this, create a new document, go to Tools>Options>Language Settings>Languages and, in the "Default language for documents" list choose a language. Note that the language you choose must have a symbol beside it which shows a little "abc" and a tick; if it doesn't then the dictionary is not installed for that language. Now go to Tools>Options>Language Settings>Writing Aids and make sure the box labelled "Check in all languages" is *not* checked. This will mean spell checking will only be done for the language you set for the document, so, for example, an English word in a German document will be highlighted as an error. Close the Tools menu. Now go to File>Templates>Save and save the blank document as a template with an appropriate name - one that tells users the language setting. To use a template, go to File>New>Templates and Documents and then choose the relevant template for the document you want to create. When you save a document, its language settings are saved in the document. An alternative would be for the users to modify the language setting, as above (but without saving a template), for each new document they create. This might be more convenient depending on the skills of the users

b) If you want to write multi-lingual documents you need to create a template that has a set of paragraph styles for each language. I think the easiest is to create, for example, "defaultGerman" by modifying and renaming the default style. To modify the language of the default style, go to Format>Styles and Formatting and choose Paragraph styles (first icon at the top of the pane). Right click Default and choose Modify. On the Organiser tab choose a name and on the Font tab choose a language. Make sure the language has "abc" and tick symbol, as above. Then other German styles (Headings etc.) can be based on the defaultGerman style. Ditto for each language. Also make sure the "Check in all languages" box is checked. Now, as you write a document, you choose the appropriate style for the language of the paragraph you are writing. If you want spell checking down to the word level you can modify the language of the default Character style instead of the default Paragraph style. You do this by picking Character styles (second icon in the Format>Styles and Formatting list). This is clearly more complicated to set up and use but having the ability to spell check individual words in different languages is quite remarkable, I think.

Harold Fuchs
London, England