On Saturday 06 January 2007 03:54, Arnold Huzen wrote:
> For the time being it is 3 to 1 in favour for another setup in this
> discussion.

Well, here's a vote for retaining mailing lists. I detest web based forums,
all with their own format, and usually unbearably slow.

> The thing we need to sort out is how do we best serve the users of
> OpenOffice. Generally people do not read FAQ's, do not read manuals. So
> by forcing them to subscribe to a mailinglist with up to hundreds of
> unwanted e-mails a day does not bring them the support they want.

It's very easy to filter all my Open Office Emails into a single folder, and
then follow the threads I want to look at. The only improvement I'd see is to
have three mailing lists one for Linux, one for Mac and one for Windows, but
I'm perfectly OK with just one.

> The mailinglist is a good thing to bring all the questions to the users
> that committed themselves voluntarily to answering questions of others,
> but is not good for people that just want an answer to their question.

So we add a footer to the mailing list with the FAQ URL, so people are
reminded that it's there.

> That is the only reason why we should be looking for something more
> useful than the mailinglist. It's the customer satisfaction that we must
> search for in the first place.

If you want to add some web based information, go ahead. Please do not
consider at all the idea of getting rid of the mailing list. And, for Pete's
sake, we are NOT customers. We're users of a program that none of us have
paid for, that many of us like a good deal, and want to help others make it
better, or make it easier to use.

--
Bob Smits [EMAIL PROTECTED]