I just upgraded from OOo 2.02 under Ubuntu Dapper to 2.04 under Ubuntu
Edgy. In the process a lot of my user settings for OOo were reset.
Oddly, some were saved, and sometimes without any obvious rationale.
The same dialog box will have some of my old settings and also some that
were reset. It is most confusing. I have managed to get most of it
reset to the way I want it except for certain default settings.

One problem is default tab stops. Previously I had these set to 21.6
points (about 1/3 inch) in Tools > Options > General. All my settings
were changed from points to inches, including this one, and it was set
to 0.8 inches. I changed the settings back to points and then set the
default tab stop to 21.6 points, which is 1/3 inch. Then I closed
Writer and restarted it. When I opened a new, blank document the tab
settings were 57.6 points (0.8 inches). I opened Tools > Options and
the default settings had changed to 57.6 points. I reset it to 21.6,
closed the options dialog box, closed the new document and then opened
another new document. This document also had tabs set at 57.6 points,
but Tools > Options still showed 21.6 points as the default. Then I
went into Paragraph formatting and deleted all tabs (although none had
been set). This made no difference.

Every time I open a new document the tabs are set to 57.6 points, yet
the default setting is 21.6 and there are no tabs set in Paragraph
formatting. However, if I close OOo Writer and restart it, then the
default setting is back to 57.6 points. In either case, all new
documents open with tabs at 57.6 points.

I suspect the problem may be in some default template (like MS Word
saves things in normal.dot). But I can't find the default template, nor
can I find any way to save settings to it.

I also tried setting the style to Text Body and then modifying the
settings for Text Body, but this has no effect. I did the same for the
Default style, but again without any success.

I hope someone can tell me how to fix this, because it's driving me
nuts!