AHA!
it is not obvious at all why you have to use a difference character in the replace that you use in search. Thanks for the tip; I think I'll need to make a couple of macros for this because I will never remember it; I do a lot of re-formating of asci text documents into word processing documents, so this is great. Thanks

Anthony Chilco wrote:
Hi Harold,
I'm not sure about \t in the replace box, but \n has a different meaning depending on whether it's in the find or replace box. In find, it's a 'soft' carriage return, one added by pressing 'shift-enter'. In replace, it's a hard carriage return, or paragraph mark. To find a paragraph mark, you use $. For instance, if you're looking for the word 'zebra' at the end of a paragraph, you'd search for 'zebra.$'. An extra line is ^$. That's a paragraph with nothing in it.
tc

Harold Drabkin wrote:
After looking at some posts and pages on regular expressions, I think I might have a bug

I can use \t to find tab characters;
\r, which is suppose to be a carriage return, does nothing
\n finds nothing.
AND

If a try to say replace anything with a \t (that is, \t is now in the replace rather than the find box), does nothing.
the only time \t works is if it is in the find box.

I'm using OO 2.1, Mac tiger (X11 ).

So if find all \p and replace with \t is suppose to work with regular expression checked, then I have a bug.

hjd

Anthony Chilco wrote:

Harold Drabkin wrote:

How would I represent searching for all instances of two carriage returns and replacing them with one?
find =  ^$
replace = nothing
Or replacing all tabs with a carriage return.
find =  \t
replace = \n