Dotan's interpretation of Mike's query is amusing.

Andy's reply to that query may be the information that Mike was looking for -- but it seems directed specifically to Mike's setup I don't see how to extrapolate that to the 'general situation'. That leaves me with [leads me to] the following query.

I am using Word and OOo 2.1 under Windows XP. In Word and in Writer, pressing Alt+0233 inserts é at the cursor position. In Word, I can do that more conveniently by pressing Ctrl+' and then e . Can something similar be done in Writer?