In OOo 2.0.2 under Ubuntu Dapper I could hold down Ctrl+Shift, type the
hex code for the character, and Writer would insert the character. The
effect was the same as using Insert > Special Character, but much
faster if you know the hex codes (which I do).

When I did apt-get dist-upgrade to Edgy the upgrade also upgraded OOo
2.0.2 to 2.0.4. I found that the keyboard entry had changed -- I had to
type Ctrl+Shift+u, then enter the hex code for the character. That was
working fine, but then I installed OOo 2.1. However, there were so many
problems with 2.1 that I did a complete removal and then reinstalled
2.0.4. Now Ctrl+Shift+u does not let me enter the hex code for a
character. What happened and how do I fix it?