On 02/24/2007 06:31 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 15:33:57 -0800 (PST)
> TerryJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:
>
>> > the field names are messed up. So the database is corrupt. However,
>> > just in case there is something wrong with the way 2.0.4 Base opens a
>> > table created in 2.0.2 Base, here is a copy of the database that I
>> > uploaded several months ago:
>> >
>> > http://web.pdx.edu/~johj/
>> >
>> > I downloaded it but I get the same results. If someone else downloads
>> > it and also finds that the field names are messed up, then we will know
>> > it is just a case of a corrupted database and not a problem with the
>> > OOo Base code.
>
>> I downloaded the document linked as "This is the database file linked to the
>> .odt file above and needed to open it".  When I click on "Tables" in the
>> left panel, I get "The connection to the data source ... cannot be
>> established.  Unable to create a content for the URL given".  The error is
>> "Invalid URL: file:///home/jjj/documents".
>>
>> I regret that I do not know what to change to remedy that.  I tried
>> registering the document as a data source but that didn't do it.  Do I need
>> to download the other documents?
>
> You shouldn't need any other documents, just the New Database.odb file.
> If you have any OOo component open (Writer, Base, etc.) you should be
> able to click on Open and browse to where it is in your download
> directory. It should open in a new Base window. In fact, if you see the
> New Database.odb file in your file browser (Nautilus, Konqueror,
> Windows Explorer) and you double-click on it, it should just open in a
> new OOo Base window.
>
> Once you have it open in an OOo Base window, click on the Tables icon
> and it should display Test_Table. That's the part that is evidently
> corrupt.
>
> If you downloaded the test_form.odt document, that is a Writer document
> with form controls linked to New Database.odb. So the test_form.odt
> document will complain about not finding New Database.odb.

No, it doesn't work that way. The Base file contains an implicit link to
the file in your '/home/jjj/documents" directory for the queries &
forms! One needs to change the directory to point to where they have it
stored on their own system; i.e., /home/username/whatever. Of course the
file will "open" but you cannot connect for queries & forms unless you
tell it the new path... at least that is what happens on my system -
perhaps someone with Base experience can advise otherwise?