John W. Kennedy wrote:
Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
By the way, it's not animosity about the metric system per se, but an argument for useful support of Imperial measurements,

There is no such thing. The Imperial system has been obsolete since 1995.

I use OpenOffice.org professionally in Canada in a company which among other things does a lot of printing for clients. Most paper sizes available and used are the standard imperial paper sizes: letter size, legal size, and ledger size. I believe this is also true in the USA.

Although in Canada metric measurements are the national standard, this has not and still does not apply generally to paper sizes as it is accordingly far easier to work with sizes such as 8½ inches and 11 inches than with the corresponding metric sizes of 21.59 cm and 27.94 cm.

Also the main high-speed printing program that we use, which comes from Australia, allows its measurements to be set to either metric or imperial measure, not to any of the point systems.

Until such time as common usage in paper sizes changes or one particular point system becomes a standard option in all software, the imperial system will be more convenient for some purposes.

I work in the real world, not in an imaginary world in which all measuring systems but the metric system have vanished. Accordingly I would welcome a tighter implementation of the imperial system within OpenOffice.org because the imperial system is not obsolete in respect to work that I perform every day.

Jallan