I work in a school district in Indiana. We use OpenOffice regularly. I would like to see all school districts change. I have had no difficulty showing an OpenOffice-created slideshow using PowerPoint. Your daughter just needs to be sure to save her slideshow with the .ppt extension so that the file will be recognized at school. You do NOT need to buy Microsoft Office.
Beth

Arleen wrote:
Hi there!
    I'm a rookie of computer user so thought I would email you guys before
downloading openoffice.
    My daughter uses Powerpoint in school, would openoffice be just as useful
as powerpoint.  Can she transfer her work to powerpoint in school so the
teacher can read it.  Or do I have to buy the expensive powerpoint for my
daughter to be able to produce her work for school.  Hope this makes sense to
you, ha.
Arleen McCoy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(301) 582-4709