To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 10:05 AM
Subject: [users] Re: Writer: Publishing to website

Aderet White wrote:
I have windows xp but I haven't been able to publish web pages to my website because I had Frontpage 2000 and I was told I needed at least Frontpage 2003. It cost a fortune to upgrade my frontpage so as I surfed the internet for other options I found openoffice. I didn't see anything comparable to Frontpage in it, so I wrote and asked if something like Frontpage was in the OpenOffice package. I was told it was included in Writer. So I bought it but still can't find a way to upload my webpages to my website in writer.

So in answer to your question as to how I normally publish my webpages to my website, I send them to someone else who does it for me. I'm so hoping you can tell me I can do it myself :)

First, OpenOffice.org is free (as in free source and no cost when downloaded) so you should not have had to buy it, unless don't normally have access to the web and so had to obtain a CD with OpenOffice.org on it. But since you "searched the internet", that does not seem to be the case. You can download the newest version of OpenOffice.org at http://download.openoffice.org/2.2.1/index.html

You don't need Frontpage to publish ANY web pages, unless the person you use to publish your pages is too ignorant to use anything else. All you need are files in some form of HTML which you place on a web server with a URL. It is that simple. There are a number of companies offering free web space such a Geocities and Google Page Creator along with many others.

While you can use the HTML facilities in OpenOffice.org (or the HTML facilities in MS Word for that matter) the HTML used in either is not very good. OpenOffice.org HTML is only a subset of HTML-3 with no cascading style-sheets while MS Windows HTML is loaded with bulky comments intended to allow everything to retained when loaded back into Word, but these comments are useless for web publishing.

However if you do want to use OpenOffice.org as an HTML editor, then open OpenOffice.org Writer and select File -> New -> HTML document. You can create your web in here just as you would a word processing document and save it in ".HTML" format. Use the View menu to turn HTML Source view on or off and edit in either mode. That HTML file should be suitable for web publishing if you are not at all fussing about recent advances in HTML, XHTML, and XML>

But as already mentioned, you can also use NVU (at http://www.nvu.com/index.php ) to produce web pages instead. NVU is a dedicated web page editor and producer and so, in my opinion, better than OpenOffice.org for this.

If you are using Windows, a more powerful free (as in no-cost) HTML/XML editor is Microsoft Visual Web Developer at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa974185.aspx and http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa700797.aspx I've used this to develop a professional corporate website.

Another excellent free (as in no cost) product is Matrix Y2K Website Studio at http://www.crystalfibers.com/index.php?topicid=146 I haven't used much at all much as I'd already gotten used to NVU and Miscrosoft Visual Web Developer but it seems to be very good.

Don't let anyone talk you into buying any Website creation product unless you know that product has a feature you really need. There's sufficient free material on the web for most web page creation. Why does someone claim you now NEED FrontPage 2003?

The only thing probably worth buying is a good book on HTML for reference.

Jallan