On 07/11/2007, Jason Wexler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 09:10:53 +0000
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > To: users@openoffice.org
> > Subject: Re: [users] Two questions on open office
> >
> > On 06/11/2007, Jason Wexler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > I was trained as a Librarian, so I cannot think of a scenario when I
> would
> > > sort a list of phrases or sentences, where I would want to take into
> > > consideration of the articles, nor since I am a linguist can I think
> of a
> > > language which uses its articles as a searchable perameter.  If you
> have a
> > > scenario where keeping the articles searchable would be of value, I
> would
> > > most definitely like to learn (thats the problem with being a
> > > librarian/scientist, must always learn something new LOL).
> > >
> > > <snip>
> >

> > Jason
> > >

> > So you'd be happy to file my book "THE DANSANT" under D for "DANSANT"
> would
> > you?
> >

> In the original French it would be Le Dansant, and une bibliotechniciane
> francais would also ignore the "Le" so I have no problem ignoring the "THE",
> there are of course going to be exceptions as someone already mentioned "The
> A to Z Guide..." would of course be an exception as would the children's
> alphabet book "A to Z".  However fixing those handful of rare exception is
> quicker and far easier than the other option when half or more of all Titles
> begin with an article either "The", "An" or "A".

No, sorry. "THE DANSANT" is French for "TEA DANCE", the sort of dance people
[used to] go to in the afternoon. That's why I chose that example. I'm sure
one could come up with several others. The one I like best, that fools
librarians but not sort software is where to file a book called "Trees,
Forests and Rearranging". No, not forestry but computer [sorting]
algorithms. A real book.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England