always be separated by periods, A Smith means something very different to a
librarian than does A. Smith.

Jason

----------------------------------------> Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 01:57:48 -0500>
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: users@openoffice.org> Subject: Re: [users] Two
questions on open office>>> Jason Wexler wrote:>>> Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007
17:14:56 -0500>>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>>> To: users@openoffice.org>>>
Subject: Re: [users] Two questions on open office>>>>>> Jason Wexler
wrote:>>>>>>> Specifically the sort function in Writer does not correctly sort
alphanumerics, the correct way to sort alpha numeric lists in English is to
ignore both indefinite and definite articles ("A" and "THE").>>>>>>> In
general, I disagree with this statement. There are specific instances>>> when
this is desired (Library of Congress listings, for example), but in>>> General,
sort should not automatically choose to drop certain words and>>> letters
during a sort.>>>>>>> I was trained as a Librarian, so I cannot think of a
scenario when I would sort a list of phrases or sentences, where I would want
to take into consideration of the articles, nor since I am a linguist can I
think of a language which uses its articles as a searchable perameter. If you
have a scenario where keeping the articles searchable would be of value, I
would most definitely like to learn (thats the problem with being a
librarian/scientist, must always learn something new LOL).>>> I guessed that
you worked at a library because they are the people that> usually request a
sort without leading words or characters. Sometimes> that leading character is
a person's initials and I am sorting a list of> people.>> I was in a library in
Dresden Germany (at the TU) and I could not find a> journal. They did not speak
English so they guessed at which word was> the most important and filed it
under that word. Librarian can be a> difficult job :-)>>> --> Andrew Pitonyak>
My Macro Document: http://www.pitonyak.org/AndrewMacro.odt> My Book:
http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalog/oome.htm> Info:
http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php> See Also:
http://documentation.openoffice.org/HOW_TO/index.html>>