Hello Bob,

Couple of suggestions inline

> Is there a way of selecting individual slides from within the slide show
> in an embedded OLE linked object?

I did not find a way to include an individual slide. The slide shown though
should be the one you were working on when you last closed the presentation.

Failing that, is there a way to export the entire slide show's set of
> slides as a sequence of graphics files so that I could embed links to the
> individual images?  (Somehow this seems less elegant than the OLE
> approach.)

This is also not easy. If you click on File > Export you can select one of
the many graphic formats to export the slide, however you will have to
repeat the operation for each slide which is a bummer.
An alternative could be to insert a hyperlink where the path is the
presentation file, the target is Slide[slide number]. Clicking on the
link will open the presentation at the desired slide, or, if the
presentation is already opened will jump to the desired slide.
Also, you ma want to consider the possibility of changing the Notes Master
in Impress to create more room for the notes.

Unfortunately it seems to me that inserting the slides as pictures is the
only way to produce something that can be printed out.

Cheers,

Michele