On Nov 21, 2007 3:59 PM, M Henri Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 2007/11/21, James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >  M Henri Day wrote:
> >
> > 2007/11/21, James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>

> >   I have never used Vista, so I can't help you with that part.  At least
> > you've found that OpenOffice is installed and running.  I'm sure there's
> > some icons somewhere, but don't know where.  Perhaps someone else on the
> > list can help.  You don't have to register, if you don't want to.  And when
> > OpenOffice opens, you should be able to open and create files, by using the
> > File drop down menu, though it would be nice to find out what happened to
> > the icons.  If you can't find them, you can alway create them yourself.
> >
> > Please respond only to the mail list (users@openoffice.org) and not
> > directly to me.
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >    Thank you.  This new computer has Windows Vista, which is still a bit
> > strange to me.  I ran "soffice," and got the registration program, after
> > which I got a window entitled OpenOffice.org.  I'm still not sure how to
> > get to running the programs (word processing is most important to me), but I
> > have all weekend to find it.... and now I have to leave for a doctor's
> > appointment, so if there's any instruction you wish to leave with me, I
> > appreciate it.  Thank you again, and have a very happy Thanksgiving.
> >

> >   In a message dated 11/21/2007 11:56:18 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >

> > What happens if you click on Start > Run and enter soffice in the Run
> > box?  Does OpenOffice start up?  If so, that indicates OpenOffice has been
> > installed, but for some reason the icons weren't created.  If you get an
> > error message, please let us know what it says.
> >
> > Please respond only to the mail list (users@openoffice.org) and not
> > directly to me.
> >

> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > James:
> >
> >  Thank you for your response.  When I wrote, I had already installed the
> > program (not just downloaded it), but nothing shows on the start menu or on
> > the "all programs" list.  I know it has been installed, because when I start
> > the install program (again) the Wizard allows me to repair, modify or remove
> > the software, but not to install it per se.  So where else may I go?
> >
> >   In a message dated 11/21/2007 10:44:20 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >

> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >  wrote:
> >
> >  I am brand-new to Openoffice.  I downloaded and installed (I think)  the
> > software on my new laptop yesterday, and expected to see icons on my
> > desktop---perhaps an Openoffice toolbar.  There are 2 icons on the
> > desktop....one for the
> > installation program, and one that, when clicked, shows a  list of
> > files.....
> > what am I missing, and what do I need to do to access the  programs.
> >
> >    After you download the installer file, you have to double click on it, to
> [...]

Try the following: Check in the File Manager to find the follwing
C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\ from ther look for Star Menu and then
programs. In theis folder shoud be the shortcuts for the OpenOffice
programs. Also you can look under C:\program Files\Open Office| to
ckeck wether this Folder exsists. If so, the program is mostlikely
installed.