I'm using OOo 2.3 under linux (debian) and a HP 8550GN Colour Laser Jet
printer on a network.

If I print multiple copies of a document it takes forever because OOo
seems to just re-send the same information  n times.

For example if I print twenty copies of a document it sends the
first copy, the printer wakes up , warms up, gets ready then prints the
first copy. Then OOo sends the next copy, we repeat the process and it
can take half a day to print out say 100 single page copies.

It may not be OOo as it seems to go pretty quickly through business of
sending the stuff out to CUPS, at least judging by the printing message
box that comes up.

I've seen other applications spit out several pages one after the
other.

So how can i get OOo to effectively tell the printer "here's a
document- print it 20 times" instead of "here's a document. OK you;'ve
done that one? Right, here's another one not entirely unlike the one
you've just done- take your time and do it very carefully."

Yeah I know it's probably an issue with CUPS or some other inscrutable
part of the printing system. But if some linux guru out there is able
to print copies quickly on a printer I'd like to hear- what are the
secrets?

Thanks

--
God bless you,