Dave Craven wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Troll/Idiot [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Friday, December 21, 2007 8:09 PM
To: users@openoffice.org
<snip>

For those who are concerned about "hijacking", I suggest, as I have suggested before, that they volunteer to update the guidelines.

In the meantime, I suggest that more sophisticated email readers be set to follow threads by subject line when reading this list. If they do not have that capability, it seems they might be different, but not necessarily more sophisticated.

Dan Craven's reply:
That isn't now email works.  There are well defined standards that
clients such as Outlook, Thunderbird, etc. follow when told to "sort by
thread/conversation".  Embedded in an email header is the message to
which it is a reply.  Merely changing the subject line does not affect
this in any way.  This is not something specific to this mail list.  It
is an adopted internet mail standard which has existed for decades.

Thanks for the tutorial on how email works. I had to straighten out your post a little to distinguish between my post and your reply. Maybe a problem with your email client not following adopted internet standards?

Thunderbird will sort messages by subject line. Some readers may not, and I don't object to people considering those less capable but "more sophisticated" programs.

Changing the subject line on an existing post is common practice on many lists, so I guess that makes it not something specific to this mail list. It is an adopted internet mail standard.

I think it's better to recognize that there are differences among programs and try to be considerate of people using all them, without any dogmatic assertion that one method is the only way.

The internet is new enough that you can't really go back decades for useful precedents.