Hi,

may I just add a small correction inline?

Brian Barker wrote:
At 21:59 17/01/2008 -0800, Scott Meyers wrote:
I find that Writer lets me rename some paragraph styles and not others. The "not" list seems to include "Text Body" and "Text Body indent," presumably because they are predefined style names. I don't like these names, so I really want to not use them. Is there some way to rename them?

The help text confirms that you cannot change the name of a predefined style.

If there's not, is there an easy way to copy them to new styles I name myself ...

Yes.

o  Open the Styles and Formatting window.
o  Select the style you wish to copy.
o Click the right-hand icon in the window's toolbar and select "New Style from Selection" in the drop-down list.

The "selection" in "New Style from Selection" means the part of text where the cursor is positioned at the moment. It does not mean what you selected in the Styles and Formatting window. You would want to right-click the style that you want to copy and choose "New". This creates a new style based on the style that you right-clicked.

o  Enter a name for your style copy and select OK.
o If necessary, right-click the new style name in the list, select Modify, and make any desired changes.

... and then automatically change all paragraphs using the unchangeable names to the corresponding new styles? For example, I want to use "Body Para" instead of "Text Body". Can I somehow copy the attributes of Text Body to Body Para and then change all Text Body paragraphs to use Body Para instead?

I don't know that you can do this. But one convenient technique is to select your new style and then the Fill Format Mode button in the Styles and Formatting window. The cursor becomes a paint can, and you can click once with this in each paragraph you wish to have this style. Press Esc to cancel this mode.

You can right-click the Text Body style and create a new style. It will inherit all properties of Text Body, and you can give it any name. As another user posted, you can use the Find & Replace dialog to replace one style by another one. See Help for that dialog.

Uwe

--
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -  Technical Writer
 StarOffice - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Hamburg, Germany