James Knott wrote:
Healthy Beaver wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Adams [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2008 6:21 PM
To: users@openoffice.org
Subject: Re: [users] OOo zealot, me?

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 00:47:36 +0200
Dotan Cohen wrote:

Not be a zealot or anything, but I thought that the regular readers of
this list might like to know that today I withdrew my membership from
my university's Green (environmental) club because they insist upon
sending mail as word documents. I told them that there was no sense in
them sending me messages that I simply could not open, and that
escalated into "deal with it, open source zealot". So I decided not to
deal with it.

Tis easier to bring about change from within than outside.

Taking into account that the .doc files won't open in OO.o tell them
that you need to print it onto trees at uni to read at home.

Also, mention that sticking with Microsoft operating systems means replacing hardware whenever a new version of Windows comes out. These same systems are more than adaquate for running Linux. So, by encouraging use of Windows, they are contributing to a significant waste of resources and the generation of a lot of garbage. Then we get to the additional electricity required to power those new, faster computers.

It seems to me, an environmental organization should be concerned about such things.

Also keep in mind that these systems that have been replaced due to M$ upgrades, that are finding their way to landfills contain lead, mercury and other toxic materials that seep into the water table.