Your Daughter will be able to open all her previous Microsoft Office Files.
The ones that have a *.doc/*.xls/*.ppt file extension. If your Daughter
starts using Microsoft Office 12 (a.k.a Microsoft Office 2007)

She is going to have to save any documents she want's to use at school or
share with other people in Microsoft Compatability Mode which saves the
files out as *.doc/*.xls/*.ppt which can be ready by other versions of
Microsoft Office (2003/2001/97). This is because Microsoft Office 12
(a.k.aMicrosoft Office 2007) default format is unable to be opened by
Programs
other Than Microsoft Office 2007. This Default Format can be recognised as
*.docx/*.xlsx/*.pptx file extensions.

These new files allow for things like larger spreadsheets (more than 65536
rows) but cannot be opened by other programs even earlier versions of
Microsoft Office