> I am thinking of a  simple outline where the different 'subjects", where the
> "different thought", are first put on a sheet of paper.   As the document is
> written the  outline can be changed as the "subjects", as the "different
> thoughts", change.

Got it. I normally use a sheet of real paper and a real pencil to do
that, but I know I am very old fashion ;-)

I imagine you will want to have some sort of hierarchical structure.
The easiest way may be to use the first three heading styles (Heading
1 for the top level, Heading 2, Heading 3 for sub-points) that you can
easily apply pressing Ctrl+1 Ctrl+2 Ctrl+3.

Then, using the navigator (press F5 and open the "Headings" section),
it is very easy to promote, demote and move entire sections around.

If you are a MS Office user, do *not* look for an outline view because
the navigator is the best you will get at least for the time being (it
is a quite popular requested feature so I guess some day the
developers may decide to do it).

Finally: if you are brave, you can use the presentation program
(Impress) and then import the outline in Writer.

Cheers,

Michele