-------- Original Message --------
From: John Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon 11 Feb 2008 09:56:36 EST

Dave Barton wrote:
-------- Original Message --------
From: Tsgboy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat 09 Feb 2008 08:08:13 EST

| Will you eventually be able to work with the new .docx format?
|

|                                 T Gautier

The "official" edition of OOo (OpenOffice.org) does not yet open files
in ".docx" format. As a temporary (or permanent) option, you might
consider downloading and installing the enhanced version of OOo called
"Oxygen Office Professional". This is still OOo, but this edition
includes a number of extras and enhancements, one of them being the
ability to open MS Word 2007 ".docx" files. The conversion is not 100%
perfect, but then neither is Microsoft's own Compatibility Pack for
earlier versions of Word [1].

Oxygen Office Professional can be downloaded from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ooop

It is a fairly large download (approx. twice the size of the "official"
edition) and you will need to completely uninstall any current version
of OOo before you install Oxygen Office Professional.

[1] http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100444731033.aspx

Hope this helps.

Dave

Certain unofficial versions (Novel/Opensuse) do happen to work with
.docx files as of right now.

True, but my first hand experience of opening ".docx" files with the Novel/openSUSE edition has been disappointing, compared to the performance of Oxygen Office Professional in this respect.

Dave