Good Afternoon Brian

Yes indeed that does help ... very much indeed.

Many thanks for your help ... and for the help you give so many others from which I learn a lot.

Yours aye

Ike Dawson

At 14:37 11/02/2008, you wrote:
At 14:13 11/02/2008 +0000, Ike Dawson wrote:
Are these MS free viewers intended as Stand Alone?

Yes.

On the MS website they appear to be 'updates' for existing Word Excel and Powerpoint users ... or did I miss a trick?

Possibly.

Word Viewer 2003 is at http://tinyurl.com/64atx . Excel Viewer 2003 is at http://tinyurl.com/5az9k . PowerPoint Viewer 2007 is at http://tinyurl.com/yfyrhj . You will want to update the first two to handle 2007 file formats using the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats; this is at http://tinyurl.com/y5w78r . This updates earlier versions of Microsoft Office, but it also applies to the Word and Excel Viewers. Note the instruction to apply high-priority updates from Microsoft Update before installing some of these products.

You can choose how to have document types associated in your copy of Windows, of course. I find it convenient to have Microsoft Office file types associated with the viewers - not OpenOffice - so any file I receive opens for viewing by default. That suits me because I usually need to read or print such files, not necessarily to edit them. If I do want to edit them, I can easily use right-click | Open With >, open the file in OpenOffice, and save a copy in an OpenOffice file format.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker