Ike Dawson wrote:

> Are these MS free viewers intended as Stand Alone?  On the MS website
> they appear to be 'updates' for existing Word Excel and Powerpoint
> users ... or did I miss a trick?

They are stand-alone. However, the licences make interesting reading:

----
MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS
MICROSOFT WORD VIEWER 2007
[..]
a. General. You may install and use any number of copies of the
software on your devices. You may use the software only to view and
print files created with Microsoft Office software. You may not use the
software for any other purpose.
----

Somewhat ambiguous; the word "only" is in the wrong place if the intention
is prohibit use of the software to read documents not created by MS
products. Anyway, if someone were to send me a .doc file, how would I know
if it was created by MS Word or not?

--
Bob Long