Lindsay Graham wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "NoOp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2008 8:15 AM
Subject: [users] Re: PRINTING FROM MULTI-SHEET CALC FILE

On 03/01/2008 01:49 AM, Lindsay Graham wrote:
Thanks again, Brian.  What you say is all true, but that is a very
non-intuitive (in fact, downright confusing) approach AND it is
necessary to know how many pages there are in either the first or
second sheet, and how is one expected to establish that?  If there
are several sheets, it becomes quite a non-trivial task to work out
which particular numbers to put into the Print dialog box.

I've just tested it with another Calc file which has 7 sheets.  Calc
says it has 289 pages in total.  If I wanted to print just Sheet 3,
how would I go about working which page numbers to specify, without
laboriously going through the Page Preview screens to work out how
many pages precede Sheet 3, and how many pages there are in Sheet 3?

The more I look into this problem, the more ridiculous I think the
Calc approach is.  Unless I'm missing some simple solution -- I hope?

Lindsay Graham

It is no different than Excel. You define the print ranges, print
preview shows you the print ranges on all sheets. Calc is showing you
289 pages because that is what you defined in your print range. Unless
you actually have 289 pages, select only those sections on the sheets
that you want printed. Example (pages being defined print ranges) & this
is pretty much what Brian has told you:

Sheet 1 has 2 pages (1-2)
Sheet 2 has 12 pages (3-14)
Sheet 3 has 3 pages (15-17)
Total = 17 pages

Now I want to print at one time:
Page 2 of sheet 1
Page 4 of sheet 2
Page 2 & 3 of sheet 3

Click on Page Preview icon & note the page numbers for the 'print
ranges'. File|Print|Print/All sheets|Print range/Pages - 2,6,16-17

If I only want to print page 4 of Sheet 2, then I select the Sheet 2
tab, then I can easily view which is page 4 of that Sheet by: View|Page
Break Preview - just to be sure it's the right one. Then
File|Print|Print/Selected sheets|Print range/Pages - 4

Page Preview and Page Break Preview are different tools. The first shows
you all print _ranges_ and allows you to easily modify the pages
settings for any of those _ranges_. The second shows you page breaks for
the sheet that you are working with.

Sorry, "NoOp", but it is very different from Excel.

In the document referred to above, I have no print ranges defined (I do use print ranges, but only when I need them -- in most documents, I have no use for them). Calc shows 289 pages because that is the total number of pages that would be produced if all 7 sheets were printed (which, in my experience, is a very unlikely requirement). To print just Sheet 3, it is, as I said above, a non-trivial task to work out what page numbers to print -- in Excel, all one has to do is hit the Print button when in the sheet that one wants to print.

To make things worse, I now find that putting "Page #/##" into a Calc header means that # and ## are worked out according to the page numbers and total page numbers in the *document*, whereas Excel works them out according to the *sheet* in which one is working. I cannot see the advantage of the Calc approach, but maybe it will come to me <g>. But it is essential for my purposes to be able to define # and ## by reference to the current sheet -- can that be done in Calc?

Trying to use Page Break Preview in Calc has just added to my confusion. If I'm in Sheet 3 of 7, *Page Preview* says that the first page of that sheet is Page 204 and the Header shows "Page 204/289", which is what I would have expected in Calc. But *Page Break Preview* says that the first page is Page 1!! Why the inconsistency?

I would not expect to ever want to print pages from several different sheets in the manner you've suggested, but I can see that it might be useful for some people. But when I go to File > Print, I don't see any options "Print/Selected sheets" or "Print/All sheets" -- I think my equivalent is is to go to File > Print > Options... and check or uncheck "Print only selected sheets". Is that what you are referring to?

Thanks again, in anticipation, for your help.

Lindsay Graham

Lindsay is correct -- printing is quite a bit different between Calc and Excel. I know this is heresy, but I think Excel's makes more sense.

One of my issues with Calc is that when you select print preview, it does not necessarily show you what will be actually printed when you choose File > Print. It will show what is printable in all the sheets, even if you've selected "Print Only Selected Sheets" and you have only one sheet selected. This is rather disconcerting, especially like in Lindsay's example where there are 289 sheets.

However, to do what I believe Lindsay is asking, which is to just print one sheet, is in fact a fairly trivial task -- you just need to have faith. Select a single sheet, make sure that "Print Only Selected Sheets" is selected under File > Print > Options, and click OK -- and only that sheet will be printed. Even if print preview says there are 289 sheets that appear to be ready to be printed.

Another issue with Calc is that, IF NO PRINT RANGES ARE SPECIFIED, anywhere in the file, then default print ranges for each sheet will exist, which will print everything in that sheet. However, if you specify a print range in a single sheet, then the default print range for all other sheets goes away. For example, let's say I have a Calc file with 20 sheets. I'm happy with the default range for 19 of the 20 sheets. For the 20th sheet, I choose to specify a print range. Now I don't have default ranges any more for the 19 sheets that I was quite happy with. Even if I select one of those sheets, and choose File > Print, nothing will be printed.