OpenOffice is a great alternative to MS Office, which I only still use
as its my work standard (at the moment).  I like the idea of an "open"
approach to software, and not the Microsoft (and other Windows software)
approach.  In all honesty, as soon as there is a way for me to ditch MS
Publisher and the legacy files in that format, and an all-in-one
replacement for Outlook, I'll be using exclusively OpenOffice.

I have found that Thunderbird with the Lightning add on does everything that I used Outlook 97 for. Plus, it allows me to interconnect the address book in Thunderbird with OO.o so that I can insert addresses in documents. I am also using the Thunderbird address book as my system address book instead of the Windows address book. I placed an icon for it in the quick launch area of the task bar, and this works great.