John Keynes wrote the following on 3/19/2008 2:18 PM:
Hello,
I am using Open Office Version 1.1 and having this problem: I can not open my open office files. It says that there is a configuation problem and that I need to contact my system administrator. I have been using Open Office for three years now and there have been no problems, until today. I do not have a system administrator, as this is my own personal computer. Please advise as to what to do. I have done a system restore on my XP operating system, setting it to an earlier date, and that did not help the problem. Perhaps upgrading Open Office to a newer version would help? I wonder if upgrading would cause any lost of data. Please let me know what to do, as these Open Office Files are very important to me and I need to open them as soon as possible. Thanks for your help. John

That 'Contact Your System Administrator' message is just computer gobbledygook for 'Oh. Oh! Somethings Wrong!' It looks like you did the usual things and they didn't work for you. If you still have a copy of your version of OpenOffice, you could do a complete uninstall then re-install to see if that works. It's been a long time since I used a 1.1 version but I believe that the system layout should remain about the same.

On my XP system with OOo 2.3.1 there is a folder buried down 'Application Data' area. This area is found in 'C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\user'

Of course your path would be a little different and you would need to substitute your own 'User Name'. On most XP systems the original User Name is 'Owner'. If you do an uninstall, this folder will not be removed. Find your way into that folder and delete it, then do a re-install. That should take care of your problem.

Unless you have a specific reason for wanting to stay with the older version of OpenOffice, I would recommend an upgrade to the latest version. There have been many, many improvements made. Upgrading will not cause any loss of your data.

Best of luck!

--
Jack